Thursday, December 2, 2010

OR Clinicals

I was in the OR for clinicals the past two days. I got to take a shot at starting an IV for the first time and to my surprise I did it! It was so easy and I was on a high until my second attempt on another patient failed. Oh well, the nurse with me told me not to let it get me down because even a practiced nurse will miss every once in a while.
That was yesterday, and today I got to see a cystocele (prolasped bladder) repair. It was painful to watch, but not as bad as when they surgically placed a sling inside of her to hold up her urethra. They jabbed these spirally needles into her groin and through an incision attached the sling to each needle, then pulling the needled out of either side made the sling taught. The sling will stay in her and the tissue will bind with it.
Very hard to watch this happen to a fellow female and I could not help but clinch my legs with every cut, jab, and suture.



This is a picture of the slings and insertion needles used. Now imagine these needles jabbed and twisted into your groin!

4 comments:

The John & Neva Show said...

Man; I would hate to have those things jabbed into my groin!!!!

darinangel said...

Thanks for the image, sicko.
PS. I like the Lady Bug.

Rachael said...

I think between you and Diane, I am going to stop reading blogs!

Stephanie said...

Oooo, so cool! Do you think being an OR nurse is what you might end up doing? That would be awesome. Also, I like your new blog background. See ya in a few weeks!