Thursday, August 14, 2008

Giselle

Saturday night mom and I are going to see the ballet Giselle. I had never heard of it so I decided to look it up and it sounds like an entertaining story. It should be fun!



Synopsis:
In the first act, a young, innocent village maiden named Giselle is in love with a man she knows only as Loys. In reality, the man is Albrecht, a nobleman disguised as a peasant, who is betrothed to Bathilde, daughter of the Duke. When Giselle discovers the deceit, she is inconsolable and goes mad, then dies; one version says she dies of a broken heart while another says she commits suicide in her madness.

In the second act, her undying love for Albrecht saves him from the wicked magic of the wilis, vampiric ghosts of betrothed girls who were betrayed by their lovers and died before their wedding day. Though their leader, Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis, forces Albrecht to dance again and again, Giselle intervenes long enough to spare his life and allow him to survive until the dawn. At sunrise, the wilis must return to their grave; Giselle must return as well but not before showing Albrecht that she forgives him for his treachery. The two pledge their love to each other and she descends back into her grave. Sadly, they will forever be separated; Giselle is now a wili for the rest of eternity.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Every time I look at your trip ticker the green eyed envy monster comes out in me! Make sure you make a list of the must do's and things you wished you would have known so you can share with me when I go some day.

Mary W said...

You can count on me! Sorry my trip ticker brings you so much distress though... :)